Now that you’ve chosen Heather Armijo Photography to photograph your family, it’s time to plan your session!
Step 1. PLAN YOUR WARDROBE.
Deciding what to wear is an important step. You’ve made the decision to invest in memories that will last a lifetime, so you should also invest in what you choose to wear. A well-planned wardrobe can turn a good photo into an amazing one! When planning what each family member should wear, I suggest picking a color scheme and having everyone coordinate. Think bright, bold colors. You can go with different shades of one color family, or an interesting color pallet just like you would when decorating a room. I like to pick a colorful pattern for one outfit and then pull colors from their shirt or dress for everyone else. Avoid neons or large logos or words. Try layering with sweaters or scarves and accessorize, this will add depth and interest to your photos. Stop by my Pinterest page for some inspiration: http://pinterest.com/harmijophotos/what-to-wear/
You can see some What to Wear examples from my past clients HERE.
Step 2. CHOOSE YOUR LOCATION.
Location 1- Mason Creek Park
Located in Katy off Franz Road this location has patches of pine trees and tall fields of wheat grass. Pine trees add a pop of greenery making this is a gorgeous location year ’round.
Location 2- Firethorne Green Space
Located in West Katy, this beautiful green location has both overgrown grassy spaces as well as cut grass depending on what look you like. The overgrown tall grasses adds so much texture it is always my first choice. The sub sets beautifully behind this space but with all the greenery, it works for even an overcast day.
Location 3- Jones Creek Park
Beautiful grassy park area with a lake and small bridge near the lake. Grass is maintained short for those who do not like overgrown grassy areas. Located in Richmond near FM 359.
Location 4- Silos in Old Katy.
This location is just gorgeous so unique with both the industrial look of the silos and green spaces mixed in for the perfect contrast. Perfect way to pay tribute to Katy.
(This is also great location on an overcast day.)
Location 5- Katy Heritage Park.
This grouping of historic homes has the most picturesque front porches! Located in Old Katy and will brighten your family photos if you are looking for this style!
3. TIPS FOR THE LADIES:
1. Use matte colors – Although shimmer can look great when applied properly, if you are a little unsure about what to do, it’s always safe to go with matte colors. Matte makeup won’t reflect light, making it easy to apply and easy to photograph.
2. Use powder – Even if your makeup is applied perfectly, if you look shiny in your pictures it can ruin your whole look. Once your makeup is complete, use a finishing or setting powder to make everything more matte. I recommend even taking some powder with you (or oil blotting sheets), especially if it’s a warm day.
3. Don’t forget your lips and nails – Wear lip gloss or lipstick to help make your lips look full and plump. Also, don’t forget about your nails, your hands will be visible so make sure they are looking their best!
4. Apply your makeup in natural light – When you put on your makeup, sit by a window or in a room with a lot of natural light. This will give you the best idea of what your makeup really looks like, and how it will look in the pictures. When you’re done, double check to make sure everything blends together nicely, there isn’t much I can do to in post if a woman’s face is much darker than her neck so keep your foundation as close to your natural color as possible!
5. Hair – I recommend making any drastic changes to your hair a week prior to your session. (just incase) When styling your hair the day of the session, consider treating yourself to having your hair professionally styled. Keep in mind, if your session is on a windy day- there is little I can do to fix hair blowing in the wind, so choose a hairstyle that keeps your hair in place.
4. The Day of Your Session
Make sure everyone has had a good night’s rest or an afternoon nap to avoid tired children.
Men- empty your pockets! Pockets full of large key rings, wallets or phones will show.
Ladies- remove extra hair ties from your wrist
PLEASE DO NOT BRING ANY EXTENDED FAMILY MEMBERS TO THE SESSION
I know that Grandma, Aunt or Cousin can surely bring a smile to your kids’ faces but as the photographer it is MY job to connect with your kids. I can’t capture their personality if they are looking behind me at their family member. Sometimes I will even ask Mom and Dad to step away so I can really focus on getting that special smile, laugh or look from the little ones.
As parents, your job during our session is to stay relaxed and have fun! I have six kids, so when it comes to behavior- I’ve seen it ALL! I understand that there are good days and bad days and that your little one may have no interest in taking pictures. But don’t stress, I have some tricks up my sleeve to get your little ones engaged in our session and we will play games, chat and get everyone smiling and happy!
During our session, we will move around the location getting a variety of images of your family both looking at the camera and interacting with each other naturally.